How it Works: Right to Information Request PART II
How do you file a Right to Information (RTI) request?
Filing an RTI is a 4-step process.
- Determine which public body is most likely to have the information you are looking for and get the relevant contact information from the Directory of Public Bodies
- Select the right form for you:
- You must fill out the application form including the following details:
- A description of what you are looking for, including the subject matter of your request and the time, place and nature of the information. Be as specific as possible here
- Your name and mailing address
- Your e-mail address
- A telephone number where you can be reached
- The date of the request
- The name of the business organization on behalf of which you are making the request, if any
- Whether you are asking to examine a record (i.e. in person, at the public body’s location)
- Whether you are asking for a copy of a record and (where it is possible to send the record electronically) whether you are able to receive the record by electronic means.