Time for a Reboot: Nine ways to restore trust in Canada’s public institutions
Canada’s Public Policy Forum has put together a very useful report: Time for a Reboot: Nine ways to restore trust in Canada’s public institutions. It identifies a number of problems with how our public institutions have eroded over time and a series of recommendations to combat this erosion and restore a healthy balance of power.
The reality: Reform is necessary
The report highlights how changes in technology and global politics has resulted in the erosion of our political institutions:
– centralization of power in the premier’s office
– the erosion of influence of the cabinet
– the increasing role of the political service, supplanting the public service
The good news: Renewal is possible
A series of nine recommendations provide a framework for beginning to restore the balance of power envisioned for parliamentary democracy. The report emphasizes four areas of reform:
– strengthening parliamentary committees
– restoring cabinet governance
– letting the public service fulfill its intended role
– building more accountability into the political service
This report is a must-read for anyone engaged in making government better for the people it represents.